By the numbers
Stories out at the beginning of the month: 5
Acceptances received: 0
Rejections received: 1
New Submissions: 0
Stories out at the end of the month: 5
I had a minor crisis this month: there was a story that I had revised before submission last month that was only saved on one computer. It was submitted via a form to one magazine, and then submitted to a second magazine (via form again) when it came back. In the meantime, I managed to delete the revised file from the one computer it was saved on.
In case you aren’t currently scrambling to back up all your works in progress, may I suggest that you stop reading this blog post and go back up EVERYTHING. Don’t worry, the post will still be here when you’re done!
So yeah, minor crisis. Luckily, I knew the basic changes I had made, minor though they were, and was able to reconstruct most of it, I think. And then I backed it up. And sent it out again. Crisis handled.
I’ve spent most of my writing time this month working on edits for Mad Scientist Journal and helping my husband make the final revisions to his novella. I tried noodling a couple of short stories, but nothing really came of that.
I’m trying to get back on the writing horse, though. I’ve got plans to write and submit a short story in July, another in August, and, while I’m working on both of those, I’m going to try to write a new novella by the end of September. All of these things have places where I plan to submit them, which I think increases my odds of getting them done. I am less good about writing a random story without a market in mind, and with no deadline.
I also need to make some revisions to my finished novella, and then I think I’m going to try to read the whole thing aloud, with the hubbie’s help, for the final copy edit of this draft. (We’ve been doing this with his novella, and it’s a remarkably useful tool!) Then, I think I start looking for publishers. *GULP!*